Thursday 28 June 2007

Potosoi


Im still with the Irish lads and having a laugh a minute. They think my accent is hilarious not to mention my poor Irish geography.

In Potosoi we went on a tour of the mine (mainly silver, zinc and lead) where 20000 Bolivians work daily, mostly over 10 hour shifts. We were expecting the conditions to be pretty bad but they were appauling. It wasn´t your typical tourist venture. We crawled on our hands and knees in cramped tunnels for long stretches. None of us could barely breath with all the dust, especially me with my asthma. We met miners as young as 13 working there. Truly shocking. An unforgettable experience.

We watched Bolivia play Venezuala in the Copa America. The lads were none to impressed with my constant chatter.

I decided to get my hair done again. Red stripes had turned orange. Found a reputable looking hairdressing school. Colour, which is the hard part turned out great but the cut was a disaster. I got completely butchered. I asked the head stylist (students watching) to take a bit of the weight out of my hair. Instead he took to my hair with the thinning scissors like a man possessed. I didn´t relaise how bad things were until I looked down and nearly ALL my hair was on the floor. My once fat ponytail has been reduced to a thin rats tail. Its going to take about 4 years to get it back to its original state. I was, am still, absolutely gutted. I had a nightmare last night that I woke, looked down at the pillow and all my hair was there on the pillow. Its times like this I need a girl to travel with so she could sympathise. I left the salon with ìt presumably looking its best. I haven´t washed it yet. Im afraid to see the result.

No comments: