Thursday 16 August 2007

Earthquake

Im fine. I was in bed when the quake happened and at first I just thought there was some drilling going on. Damm roadworks or whatever. After a few seconds it sunk in what was really hppening. I just sat up on my bed and laughed the whole way through thinking how cool it was that I was experiencing live, a natural disaster, until the lights started to flicker and then I got a bit scared. The people in our hostel had mixed reactions- some more panicky than others. Id say I was the most calm of everybody.

A big group of friends Ive been hanging around with for about 2 weeks left Lima a few days ago to go to head south to sandboard. They are staying really near the epi-centre and I havent heard from any of them yet which is a bit worrying. I understand there are no tourists found dead yet though. I was supposed to go with them but I stayed in Lima for a boy, otherwise Id be in the thick of it right now. The damage in Lima seems not bad at all- a few broken windows and cracks in walls but I understand in Pisco and Ika, things are pretty disastorous. Could prove to be the most fortutious decision Ive made this trip.

1 comment:

Rojo said...

Oh my god!!! Thank fuck you're ok!!!