Friday 31 August 2007

Fun times in Mancora


The last few days have been so fun. Wednesday was the last day we had the car so myself and Becky and our South African mate Andy decided to make the most of it and drive to a nearby coastal town where Ernest Hemmingway was inspired to write "Men and the Sea" (Im not sure if I have the title exactly right- all the partying has turned my brain to mush). It was really picturesque and we were the only gringos there, which doesn´t happen that often anymore cause we are always on the trail. We went to the pier and bought fish (Ive no idea what kind) off the local fisherman. 8 massive fish for 18 soles which I think is less than 5 euros. We then went back to our site and cooked them on the BBQ with butter, garlic, chillies, onions and lime juice. Absolutely delicious. We followed that with chocolate bananas and then lay in the hamocks. Cooking on the fire made me think about the venturers I miss so much.

Becky was shocked to learn that I dont drive. Its definitely getting harder to explain as I get older (There was no car for me to learn on, I lived abroad, everything in Dublin is close......), so she taught me. The car was automatic so its not the same but nonetheless I was driving. Girls, can you actually belive it?!!!!!We started on a dirt track, and after I had comfotably driven through a town, we decided I was ready for the PanAmerican Highway. How cool. We changed back soon after for fear of getting stopped by one of the police. Imagine explaining that I didn´t have a liscence when a few days earlier one of the lads got stopped who had a liscence and the dodgy copper just wanted a bribe so he made up some story about not accepting it. Thankfully, we were able to talk our way out of that one.

Defo one of the best days of the trip so far.

Yesterday, wasn´t as productive but equally enjoyable. Just lazing around on the beach deciding where we would go for lunch dinner etc. Our whole group talks about food non stop, especially chocolate cake and apple crumble. They managed to find the best apple crumble in the whole town, whch was confirmed by the lonely planet when we read it a few days later. Hilarious how they were able to sniff that out. We were supposed to go to a nice fish restaurant last night. We went for a pre dinner drink but got there for passion fruit pisco (brandy) happy hour , so it was game over after that.

Even though Im a paranoid android about getting burnt, I still mamged to get scalded yesterday. Red patches all over me. Sooooo attractive. The fecking lads dont even put sun screen on but if I even look at the sun, I go red. I must have put about 20 layers of aloe vera on last night. We went to the beach again today and I had to wear a top and long shorts. I cant expose myself again for a least a few more days so for the moment even swimming is ruled out unless I go at night!

Ive noticed Ive started dressing like a 15 year old boy. Its all skater runners and hoodies. The state of me but Im loving it.

No comments: